Technical working group meetings
Federal State Unitary Enterprise,
A. P.Karpinsky Russian Geological Research Institute (FGUP "VSEGEI")
74, Sredny prospect, 199106,
This will be an all day event and we encourage all those with an interest in furthering the technical advancement of the OneGeology initiative to attend (there will be work days either side of this meeting advancing OneGeology adopted technologies such as GeoScIML, which any are welcome to attend also).
Previous meeting reviews
The meeting was hosted by the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland (GEUS) at their offices in Copenhagen.
Jørgen Tulstrup Head of Department, State Geologist, was the OneGeology host for the meetings at:
Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland (GEUS),
Øster Voldgade 10, DK-1350 Copenhagen K, Denmark,
The agenda for the Technical Working Group meeting included at least issues of:
- steps required to encourage more of the currently 94 Geological Surveys to serve OneGeology Level 1 Web Map Services (WMS) or request others to host their WMS for them (we currently have more offers of hosting than we have of requests from Surveys to be helped)
- OneGeology Level 2 Web Feature Service (WFS) Cookbooks will be available by the time of the meeting - rolling out Level 2 services based on GeoSciML V2.0
- Current and planned improvements to the OneGeology Portal - Registry and Client
- Current and planned improvements to existing Cookbooks and recommended opensource software
- Likely timetable for integration of advancements developed by the EU funded OneGeology-Europe project into 'OneGeology-Global'
- Working with other potential OneGeology contributing projects around the world such as the USA NSF-GIN project
This was a highly successful meeting. It was attended by 30 participants representing 13 countries around the world. Discussion focussed on development of the Prototype Portal, the registration process, improvements leading to V1.1 of the Cookbook and preparations for Level 2 WFS Cookbooks. The meeting was concluded with a live demonstration of using the WMS Cookbook V1.0 and the registration of 'real' map data.
Could participants now please follow the Cookbook instructions to register your OneGeology conformant WMS service and provide any feedback you can to email@example.com. This feedback will be essential for producing Cookbook V1.1, hopefully available in April.
The regional French TV station came to film the Working Group meeting and several of the team appeared in a substantial slot on the regional news that evening (see below).
The following documents are available:
The meeting was very successful and the continuing commitment of participants ensured that there were volunteers to take forward the work we identified.
There is a wide range of documentation from the Utrecht meeting on the Downloads page from the agenda to the list of participants and a selection of the presentations given. However the most useful document from this set may be the brief action list and other issues, which give the work tasks, the people who agreed to carry them out and the time-lines.
From this you will see that we very much hope to have a OneGeology prototype portal with the geology of several countries available by the end of January 2008.